Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

athlete - female        Q   If I don’t have health care insurance can I get access to   medical care?

A  Yes.  The facilities are called Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC).  There you will receive access to a full  complement of healthcare services and specialists — from wellness checks, to help with chronic conditions,and  medicines.  And, you may spend less time in the Emergency Room.

To find a FQHC nearest you, click here.

Q  I’d like to get better at managing my condition since it seems I’ll be getting services in the adult centers pretty soon.  Do you have any advice?

A  The Centers for Disease Control have developed a very efficient toolkit to get you organized and in control of your condition.  To preview the toolkit, click here.

Q  How do you know when you should go to the doctor or Emergency room?

A  Deciding what is an emergency can be challenging for chronically ill patients.  And only you can make this decision.  Studies show, however, that the more patients utilize the services of a regular physician or clinic, the fewer visits to ER become necessary.